< Back to My Blog
March 22, 2016 4:39 am
(Family Features)—Adopting just one environmentally-conscious habit can make a world of difference—really! The majority of individuals who make choices that help preserve natural resources report feeling happier when doing so, according to a study by packaging product manufacturer Tetra Pak.
“We believe that even simple lifestyle behaviors have the power to make a big impact, on both a personal and global scale,” says Elisabeth Comere, director of Environment and Government Affairs for Tetra Pak. “The combined benefit of the small actions we take, from taking shorter showers to choosing products in renewable packaging—made of natural resources that can be replenished over time—can benefit the world around us while making us happier.”
Comere recommends starting with one of the following lifestyle changes:
1. Conserve resources, including water. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates cutting your shower by just one minute will save two and a half gallons of water. Over time, that savings adds up: 75 gallons per month and nearly 1,000 gallons over the course of a year.
2. Choose products in renewable packaging. Choosing food and beverage products in renewable packaging is a natural extension of environmentally-friendly habits, such as recycling or composting. From milk and soup to water and juice, you can find food products packaged in cartons—primarily made from paper, a renewable resource from growing forests.
3. Buy only what you can consume. At the grocery store, it's easy to over-shop, especially if you're hungry. Buy only what you need, and seek groceries that are considered renewable, such as fruits and vegetables.
4. Use reusable containers. These days, hectic lifestyles are the norm and that often means meals and beverages on the go. When possible, rely on reusable drink and food containers instead of disposable ones.
5. Whenever you can, bike or walk instead of driving. According to data compiled by National Geographic, it takes nearly 13 gallons of water to produce each gallon of gasoline. Using alternative modes of transportation, or car pooling, can help cut water and energy demands.
Adopting just one of these renewable habits can help preserve the planet's resources while fast-tracking levels of happiness. Which of these green changes will you make?
Source: Tetra Pak
Published with permission from RISMedia.